Thursday, 24 November 2011

At least... we'll always remember her.

So said 6 year old Chicken when I told him the sad news that Granny had died on Remembrance Day, 11.11.11
My maternal Grandmother, Nana, had been in hospital and then the hospice for around six weeks.
She was the one who taught me to knit as a little girl and loosened off my stitches every few rows after I had made them so tight I could no longer force the needle through!  She was encouraging of my constant childhood faffings and the happy recipient of many a crafty project since then. Strangely she wasn't the one who taught me to crochet as I came to that only fairly recently, but we did chat about patterns and hooks and the like.
We said goodbye and celebrated the life of a fabulous lady with a lovely service and 'bun fight' afterwards. 
Nana didn't drink alcohol, except champagne! so that's what we toasted her with.
She didn't quite make her 90th birthday in January as she was so determined to do but her friends are going to have a party for it anyway. Bless 'em! and
"at least she died on Remembrance Day so we'll always remember her"




No comments:

Post a Comment