Thursday, 5 January 2012

Happy New Year!

We had a great Christmas and New Year, I hope you did too.

I am veeery excited to show you my Christmas present...



woo hoo! All I need to do now is find out how to get the squillions of pictures on it onto my computer! I'm sure it's easy I just haven't actually got around to it yet.

In other news, Chicken told me the other day that the socks I had given him to wear were broken! I did the only thing any mildly craft obsessed Mummy would do in such a situation...



Should you also find yourself with broken socks, here is my handy and easily adapted sock monkey making plan.


Wow what an excellent picture! anyway, I hope it makes sense. I mostly machined mine but you could just as well hand sew it all.

The most important thing is to lay your socks flat with the heels on top like a little flap, then start snipping.

Hem, stuff and sew closed each part. A tricky bit is sewing on the stuffed mouth part. I sewed on the bottom of the heel in a curve, then most of the top, stuffed it and pinned it so the stuffing couldn't escape while I sewed up the hole. (make sure you aren't sewing through both sides of the head - not that I think for one second that you would be - just check!)

Join the pieces as you see fit, I wasn't worried about seeing the seams so they're mostly on the outside.

The only thing I think that isn't too obvious is you have to sew up the the back of the head. Snip off the toe/sole part of sock 1 so you are left with the heel still joined to the ankle part. Flip the heel up and sew the two cut edges together.

Last of all find a couple of buttons, or some felt, googly eyes, beads or whatever takes your fancy to make the eyes.

Not bad for a broken pair of socks. You could always just chuck them in the bin.. but then my guess is you wouldn't be reading this in the first place!

See you soon, maybe with sparkling new photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment